- In need of a new series to become obsessed with, I started watching Sons of Anarchy on Netflix this weekend. In these trying times, Jax Teller is getting me through. God bless.
- I picked out my house numbers! They float above the siding.
- I scored and got 8 of these pressed glass goblets for $4 at Goodwill! They’re going to look so pretty on the open shelving.
- Speaking of shelving, I sourced these iron shelf brackets but will get them later. I need 6 at $8 each.
- Last weekend I finally made the trek to Class and Trash. What a great place! I found an old apple crate that belongs to Virginia Senator Byrd’s apple orchards… just like the pic below!
I also got an old metal Pet Milk crate and a 1961 yearbook from Ozark, Missouri. I had my eye on a sweet old wooden turkey coop that would make a great coffee table with a glass top and casters… like this chicken coop but taller:
I really need to go back and grab that thing.
There were so many wonderful old photos:
- I can’t believe I spent hours online hunting down kitchen cabinet pulls. I decided on one style that will go horizontal on the drawers and vertical on the doors. They’re selling for a lot more elsewhere but I finally found them for $1 each at some random site!
- This weekend I finally went to Caravati’s Architectural Salvage. They go into old homes being renovated or torn down and save all the old fixtures (and iron fencing, hard wood floors, tile, sinks, everything). The place is massive and so depressingly expensive. I couldn’t even afford a doorknob but, I guess if you’re desperate to match something in an old house, that would be the place to go.
just a tiny fraction of the wharehouse
- So yeah, it’s been all house all the time. I’ve also become obsessed with Bellytimber’s black bean nachos (smothered in thinly sliced fresh jalapenos) thanks to Terra! I crave them constantly.
- All this planning and shopping and I still haven’t broken ground on the house yet, which is driving me insane. The city of Richmond’s building permit office is full of incompetent morons, and add to that the surveyor in May neglected to draw on the plot plan a small area in a back corner of the lot that is part of the Chesapeake Bay protection area. The city is losing its mind and well, I kinda am too but; it will all work itself out.
- My lovely friend Becky is in need of funding for her politically charged interactive/intervention dance piece Impressive Mastermind. I happen to be on the FDANCE Board of Directors so, think about supporting the arts and getting in your last-minute tax-deductions! There are only 4 days left and it’s getting intense.
Impressive Mastermind, examines notions of privacy and the law, particularly with regard to the USA Patriot Act implemented following the events of 9/11. FDANCE’s artistic director, Rebecca A. Ferrell, believes that numerous freedoms related to personal privacy, especially those rights protected by the Fourth Amendment, were diminished in order to ostensibly seek out potential terrorists. Through the vehicle of a theatrical dance performance, Impressive Mastermind investigates these privacy issues on a public and personal level and also asks the audience to question their own views on government policies regarding personal privacy, including illegal search and seizure. Moving away from the usual spectacle of traditional theater, this multi-dimensional piece explores an experiential examination of how the public relates to what is real and what is considered performative. (Read more here)
- Well, I pulled the trigger on new bedding… but it wasn’t the pricey set I talked about a bit ago. For way less than half of what it would’ve taken to make that pricey set complete, I pulled this together and it gets here in a week:
Ivory, greys and taupe + texture and pattern mixing. Quilted coverlet and shams, grey blanket and grey sheets from Overstock, accent pillow from Target. I can’t wait for it all to get here! I’ll have 6 full-size pillows and the one accent on my bed.
- I also pulled the trigger and paid off a weighty credit card with money from my savings. It just didn’t make sense to pay more interest on the debt than I was receiving on my savings. Took 2 seconds. One less bill. Done and done. Phew!
- Wonderful friend Victoria sent me an amazing box of goodies for Christmas and one of the gifts was a milk glass vase that’s been in her family since she was little. OMG how awesome! Today, I got the last of the Christmas decorations off my bedroom mantle, picked up some flowers from Trader Joe’s and had fun decorating:
my white space
- 6 months of growing my bangs out and something just didn’t feel right. I switched my part – even worse. Had my forehead grown larger? Why did I look so bad? I prepped and combed, with scissors in hand and then chickened out. I looked at pictures online of black hair with blunt bangs to psych myself up and kept seeing Krysten Ritter. I seriously can’t stand that woman and just want to punch her in her tiny little rat face. I finally got the courage and just chopped em off with D watching in the bathroom, cheering me on (he obviously liked the bangs better too.) Boy do I feel like myself again! (They’re not Krysten Ritter short.) :D Now I need a little trim and shaping of the rest of the grow out and I’ll be in business!
- Something’s up with my car. It’s idling a bit funny, power feels off… I just don’t know. It’s kinda making me ill to think about it and it’s driving okaaaaay for the most part with no warning lights and such. I can’t deal right now.
- Something’s up with my face as well. After losing all this weight (22 lbs since June 11) my face has changed and I have some hollowing under my eyes that cast shadows. Let’s just say overhead lighting is not my friend and I now completely understand why women get dermal fillers.