another month goes by

by Lara on June 30, 2014

in life

I gave some serious thought to closing down this blog when I received the renewal notice from my hosting service.  Then I thought about my other options and I don’t want to give up this large format.  Is blogging dead?  Nah.  People still love to share in paragraph form and Instagram and Twitter just don’t cut it all the time.

So here we are. How are you?  I’m pretty darn fantastic!

The 2-year anniversary of my mom dying came and went.  I ended up having a random late night boohoo 2 days before the actual day and got it out of my system, which was a good thing since I almost up and quit my job, in a table flipping, “eff all y’all” kinda way, on the actual anniversary.  Things have settled down and everything is fine, if not better now.

Still no house.  There’s just nothing on the market right now.  I’m terribly torn on location too so, I’m just waiting for something to come along and truly knock my socks off.

Last night I had to dose myself with xanax after being paralyzed on my sofa for a half hour, helpless with my phone charging in the bedroom, because I spent the entirety of last week packing and lifting heavy crates for my firm’s move from the 15th to the 20th floor.  In addition to going full steam on a $20+million lawsuit in the middle of it all, I’ve never worked so hard in my life.  Today was everyone’s first day in the new office space and it’s lovely.

I started my back piece and sat like a motherfuckin’ champ for about 4.5 hours to complete the outline.  Then, I went in for my next appointment (day after my mom’s anniversary and almost quitting my job) and couldn’t get past 1.5 hours.  I was tired and super stressed and was utterly panicked about what I had gotten myself into.  Every sitting will be different so, here’s hoping I can get a ton of work knocked out next time.

tattoo

And there’s the man.  2 months now.  I had happily resigned myself to being indefinitely single and this amazing, kind, hilarious, smarty-pants, romantic sexy beast comes along and yeah… I’m happy.

5.31.14(I’m on a hill!)

Summer has been good to me so far… lots of weekend adventures and social time.  I got to snuggle a lovey dovey race horse this past Saturday!

Alpine

And can we talk about delicious beverages?  I had hit a wall with drinking, in that vodka sodas were boring (and getting me in trouble/making me feel like hell – like driving to work hungover and puking in a glass while still driving kinda hell) and beer was just becoming gross.  Then I discovered 2 delicious options a few weekends ago.  Crabbie’s Ginger Beer and Stiegl Grapefruit Radler.  They don’t taste like beer.  The alcohol content is low and you drink the Crabbie’s on ice so they’re perfect for day drankin’ in the sun.  I’m getting too old to get shit-canned.

CrabbiesStiegl Grapefruit RadlerTrust me people.

I went to Total Wine for the first time ever… holy smokes! I also picked up a 6-pack of Abita Strawberry Harvest Lager.  Delightful!

strawberryI want my drinking to be pleasurable.

I bought shorts… 2 pairs! I’ve never worn shorts.  I always felt juvenile in them.  Now I’m living in them on the weekends, with a studded belt and weird thin drapey linen tank tops I’m finding at Marshall’s.

utility shortsOld Navy utility shorts

So I still desperately need to go tubing down the James River at least once this summer and dip my toes in the ocean.  It’s already been one of the best summers I’ve had in a very long time and it’s just getting started!

What are your plans?

Be Sociable, Share!

You may also enjoy:

{ 7 comments… read them below or add one }

Julia July 2, 2014 at 10:24 AM

You. Stay bloggy: it’s how I’m keeping track of you.

Thought that said, since my long (unintented) hiatus, I’m thinking about dealing in short form with a sub-Tumblr, just so I can noodle short posts and musings – that way I’m a little more constant with it. Maybe short form would work for you, too?

Lara July 3, 2014 at 9:10 PM

What’s your main-Tumblr? Keep me posted on these things!
Tumblr overwhelms me and I’ve been real picky about who I follow… it’s more of a late night visual candy to relax kinda thing for me. I never add any original content to mine but maybe I could? Hmmm…

Cristi July 3, 2014 at 8:30 AM

Hello Lara!…first time commenter…long time reader.;) But, have to come out of my snail shell and finally say HI!:)

Your ink is amazing, love how the design came out. Remember when you decided on the deer and flowers and glad the artist has done such a beautiful job with your idea and integrating your old work. Don’t stress it will be gorgeous, and going slowly is fine if you need to have breaks. You’ve waited this long so a little more time wont matter much in the long run.;)

I also am so very glad to read how happy you are!!! It’s wonderful that you have meet a person who seems nice and that you enjoy hanging out with. You deserve it!

I think it is also fine to wait to find the perfect place. I’m glad I didn’t buy the first house I looked at, even the second huge one that was on a busy street….and yikes, even busier now just cuz it was such a big place. I got a smaller one in a better walkable hood. You will find the perfect place eventually and you’ll know it when you see it…

Hope to read about your super fun tubbing adventure soon…always makes me wish I was there too!:)
Happy Summer!<3

Lara July 3, 2014 at 9:08 PM

Hey Cristi! Thanks so much for leaving a comment! I love meeting new people! :D
Thanks for following along and for all of the encouragement. House hunting is SO frustrating! I have two I want to check out real soon! Commutes are a huge deciding factor, like, I do NOT want to drive on the highway for work but, do I want to drive through this area every day to/from work? OMG it’s killing me. My dad said I’m being ridiculous since I probably won’t work at my job the rest of my life and I’ll have lots of other commutes to contend with down the road. Why does he have to make so much sense?
Where are you from? Any river adventures where you live?
Stay in touch!

Lindsay is Broke July 4, 2014 at 12:36 PM

Um, that tattoo is AMAZING!! I don’t blame you for bailing on your second appt… sounds intense. Please don’t shut this down! I just realized that I didn’t re-follow a lot of blogs when I moved from Feedly to Bloglovin’, so please gimme a chance! :) xo
Lindsay is Broke recently posted..ADD: Evelyn K Bird Branch Scarf

K July 9, 2014 at 7:57 PM

I am in awe of that tattoo every time I see a picture of it. It’s amazing.
K recently posted..Love/hate Tuesday

Lindsay August 1, 2014 at 11:04 AM

Oh my gosh – so happy for you with all the changes going on! I have those Old Navy shorts in tan and ABSOLUTELY love them. Denim shorts feel too “rigid” and these Old Navy ones are pretty awesome.